Skip to Main Content
The Causes of Logging Truck Delays on Two West Virginia Logging OperationsAuthor(s): John E. Baumgras
Source: Res. Pap. NE-421. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Experiment Station. 4p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (394.8 KB)
DescriptionLogging truck downtime increases timber harvesting costs. To determine the extent and causes of truck delays, four logging trucks on two separate operations were monitored for a 7-month period by recording speedometers and with tallies of delay causes. The results show the number of truck delays per shift, their duration, and the total delay time per shift for eight categories of delay causes. Average delay time per shift was nearly 90 minutes. Maintenance and repair, administrative actions, and operations scheduling were the leading causes of truck delay; overall, they accounted for two-thirds of all delay time sampled.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBaumgras, John E. 1978. The Causes of Logging Truck Delays on Two West Virginia Logging Operations. Res. Pap. NE-421. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Experiment Station. 4p.
- Potential for shared log transport services
- Tractor-logging costs and production in old-growth redwood forests
- Weight and volume variation in truckloads of logs hauled in the central Appalachians
XML: View XML