Skip to Main Content
Preliminary results on predation of gypsy moth pupae during a period of latency in SlovakiaAuthor(s): Marek Turcani; Andrew M. Liebhold; Michael McManus; Július Novotný
Source: In: Proceedings: IUFRO Working Party 7.03.07; Kanazawa, Japan. September 2003. 72-77
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (493.59 KB)
DescriptionPredation of gypsy moth pupae was studied from 2000 -2003 in Slovakia. Predation on artificially reared pupae was recorded and linear regression was used to test the hypothesis that predation follows a type II vs. type III functional response. The role of pupal predation in gypsy moth population dynamics was also investigated. The relative importance of predation of pupae by invertebrates vs. vertebrates was estimated using exclosures. During the study, population densities remained very low and stable. In general, invertebrates caused 55.8% and vertebrates 44.2 % of total predation. K-values varied from 0.20 to 3.00 and plots of abundance vs. k-values suggested that total predation was density independent during a period of latency. The ultimate role of predation on gypsy moth pupae remains unclear, however there are some indications that pupal predation plays a significant role in the dynamics of gypsy moth populations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTurcani, Marek; Liebhold, Andrew M.; McManus, Michael; Novotný, Július 2003. Preliminary results on predation of gypsy moth pupae during a period of latency in Slovakia. In: Proceedings: IUFRO Working Party 7.03.07; Kanazawa, Japan. September 2003. 72-77
- Preliminary results on predation of gypsy moth egg masses in Slovakia
- Effects of gypsy moth-oriented silvicultural treatments on vertebrate predator communities
- Forest type affects predation on gypsy moth pupae
XML: View XML