Skip to Main Content
Current work in ontario on compression wood in black spruce in relation to pulp yield and qualityAuthor(s): J.L. Ladell; A.J. Carmichael; G.H.S. Thomas
Source: In: Proceedings of the Eighth Lake States Forest Tree Improvement Conference; Res. Pap. NC-23. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 52-60
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (191.82 KB)
DescriptionIn 1959 and 1960, during a series of symposia on wood quality organized jointly by the Ontario Department of Lands and Forests, the Faculty of Forestry of the University of Toronto, and the Ontario Research Foundation (ORF), it became clear that there was a serious lack of information regarding the structure and variability of the wood of the commercially important species of Ontario. Following these symposia a Wood Quality Unit was set up within the Department of Lands and Forests' Research Branch, and at about the same time the Department undertook to sponsor a wood quality research program to be carried out by the Department of Organic Chemistry of the ORF, which for many years had been doing contract research in the fields - among others - of lignin chemistry and the utilization of waste pulping liquor.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLadell, J.L.; Carmichael, A.J.; Thomas, G.H.S. 1968. Current work in ontario on compression wood in black spruce in relation to pulp yield and quality. In: Proceedings of the Eighth Lake States Forest Tree Improvement Conference; Res. Pap. NC-23. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 52-60
- Raman imaging to investigate ultrastructure and composition of plant cell walls : distribution of lignin and cellulose in black spruce wood (Picea mariana)
- Raman imaging of lignin and cellulose distribution in black spruce wood (Picea mariana) cell walls
- Decomposition of soil organic matter from boreal black spruce forest: environmental and chemical controls
XML: View XML