Skip to Main Content
A Hierarchical Analysis of Bridge Decision Makers ... The Role of New Technology Adoption in the Timber Bridge Market: Special ProjectAuthor(s): Robert L. Smith; Robert J. Bush; Daniel L. Schmoldt
Source: Forest Service Technical Publication NA-TP-04-95. 22 pp.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (177 KB)
DescriptionBridge design engineers and local highway officials make bridge replacement decisions across the United States. The Analytical Hierarchy Process was used to characterize the bridge material selection decision of these individuals. State Department of Transportation engineers, private consulting engineers, and local highway officials were personally interviewed in Mississippi, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin to identify how important factors determine their choice of a bridge material. The Analytical Hierarchy Process allowed us to quantify this subjective material selection decision for different groups of decision makers. Based on the importance of various decision criteria and how well the material alternatives (steel, reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete, and timber) meet them, strategies are recommended for those promoting timber as a bridge material.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSmith, Robert L.; Bush, Robert J.; Schmoldt, Daniel L. 1995. A Hierarchical Analysis of Bridge Decision Makers ... The Role of New Technology Adoption in the Timber Bridge Market: Special Project. Forest Service Technical Publication NA-TP-04-95. 22 pp.
- A Hierarchical Model and Analysis of Factors Affecting the Adoption of Timber as a Bridge
- The Selection of Bridge Materials Utilizing the Analytical Hierarchy Process
- Understanding Customer Product Choices: A Case Study Using the Analytical Hierarchy Process
XML: View XML