Skip to Main Content
Experience patterns: capturing the dynamic nature of a recreation experienceAuthor(s): R.B., IV Hull; William P. Stewart; Young K. Yi
Source: Journal of Leisure Research 24(3):240-252
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (583.21 KB)
DescriptionA recreation experience is not static, it varies over the course of an engagement. Yet, most recreation research operationalizes recreation benefits andoutcomes as essentially static in nature (i.e., satisfaction). "Experience patterns" capture the dynamic nature of a recreation experience and thus might prove useful as units of analysis in the management and study of recreation resources. The purpose of this exploratory study is to examine properties of experience patterns to determine whether they are worthy of future theoretical and empirical study. Toward this end, the experience patterns of 90 hikers were assessed during a short but strenuous dayhike. Seven qualities of hikers' experiences (four mood measures, two satisfaction measures, and landscape scenic beauty) were assessed at twelve moments during the hike. Results are encouraging and suggest that hikers differ from one another in their on-site experience but cluster into distinct, homogeneous groups. Some hikers' had experience patterns that varied predictably over the course of the hike and thus seem dependent upon site characteristics and subject to site management. Other hikers' experience patterns were constant and seemed independent of site characteristics.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHull, R.B., IV; Stewart, William P.; Yi, Young K. 1992. Experience patterns: capturing the dynamic nature of a recreation experience. Journal of Leisure Research 24(3):240-252
KeywordsEmotion, beauty, satisfaction
- Visitor satisfactions: backcountry and wilderness users in the White Mountain National Forest
- Visitor use patterns and satisfaction along the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway, Oregon
- Customer service and overall satisfaction with angling experiences
XML: View XML