Skip to Main Content
Response problems in a vacation panel studyAuthor(s): Christine A. Vogt; Susan I. Stewart
Source: Journal of Leisure Research 33(1):91-105
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (680.76 KB)
DescriptionThis paper investigates response problems encountered in a panel study of travel behavior. Though the overall response rate to the three-wave panel study was acceptable (over 60%), three types of response problems were encountered: refusal, non-response, and attrition. In a follow-up phone survey, a sample of individuals from each problem response group was questioned about their study participation and travel behavior Results indicate that those who outright refused any participation in the study were most different from panel respondents and other partial-respondents, in terms of travel behavior. This study reveals problems that leisure researchers must address to generate high participation and response in panel studies.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVogt, Christine A.; Stewart, Susan I. 2001. Response problems in a vacation panel study. Journal of Leisure Research 33(1):91-105
KeywordsSurvey research, longitudinal research, attrition, non-response, travel diary
- Trails research: where do we go from here?
- A case-based approach to understanding vacation planning
- Environmental attitude-behavior correspondence between different types of forest recreationists
XML: View XML