Skip to Main Content
Austrian National Forest Inventory: caught in the past and heading toward the futureAuthor(s): Klemens Schadauer; Thomas Gschwantner; Karl Gabler
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 47-53.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (755.23 KB)
DescriptionThe Austrian National Forest Inventory (AFI) started in 1961 on a temporary plot design with a systematic grid and a period of 10 years. For the first 30 years it was conducted as a continuous forest inventory. Since 1981 a permanent plot system has been used and the assessment period was reduced. Only slight changes in the plot design have occurred since the beginning of the inventory. During the past 45 years AFI changed from a survey of forest area, growing stock, and increment to a complex monitoring system covering many aspects of the forest ecosystem. Up to now the assessments have been restricted to the forest area but in the future AFI could be extended to become a landscape monitoring system. An ongoing project uses satellite imagery from Landsat with a k-Nearest-Neighbour technique over all of Austria aiming at maps and estimates with higher accuracy for small regions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchadauer, Klemens; Gschwantner, Thomas; Gabler, Karl. 2007. Austrian National Forest Inventory: caught in the past and heading toward the future. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 47-53.
- Background for AFIS, the Annual Forrest Inventory System
- Development of a national forest inventory for carbon accounting purposes in New Zealand's planted Kyoto forests
- Forest inventory and analysis program in the Western U.S.
XML: View XML