Skip to Main Content
Italian National Forest Inventory: methods, state of the project, and future developmentsAuthor(s): Giovanni Tabacchi; Flora De Natale; Antonio Floris; Caterina Gagliano; Patrizia Gasparini; Gianfranco Scrinzi; Vittorio Tosi
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 55-66.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (1.38 MB)
DescriptionA primary objective of the Italian National Forest Inventory (NFI) is to provide information required by the Kyoto Protocol and the Ministerial Conference on the Protection of Forests in Europe in relation to sustainable forest management practices. For this reason, the second Italian NFI was aimed at providing data in a way that is consistent with the international standards, such as the adopted definition of forest area. Particular attention was paid to the quality of the data collected to obtain good accuracy and high precision at the national level. This has been achieved with a three-phase sampling for stratification that allowed for a high sampling intensity in the first two phases and careful control of the data inputs with continuous feedback from the surveyors.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTabacchi, Giovanni; De Natale, Flora; Floris, Antonio; Gagliano, Caterina; Gasparini, Patrizia; Scrinzi, Gianfranco; Tosi, Vittorio. 2007. Italian National Forest Inventory: methods, state of the project, and future developments. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 55-66.
- The Italian National Forest Inventory: geographical and positioning aspects in relation to the different phases of the project
- The new Brazilian national forest inventory
- The design of the second German national forest inventory
XML: View XML