Skip to Main Content
A monitoring system for gypsy moth managementAuthor(s): F. William Ravlin; S. J. Fleischer; M. R. Carter; E. A. Roberts; M. L. McManus
Source: IN: Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Twery, Mark J.; Smith, Shirley I., eds. Proceedings, U.S. Department of Agriculture interagency gypsy moth research review 1990; East Windsor, CT. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-146. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 89-97.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (769.94 KB)
DescriptionWithin the last ten years considerable research has been directed toward the development of a gypsy moth monitoring system for project planning at a regional level and for making control decisions at a local level. Pheromones and pheromone-baited traps have been developed and widely used and several egg mass sampling techniques have also been developed. Recently these sampling techniques have been combined into a pheromone trap-based monitoring system which uses pheromone trap results to assist in prioritizing areas to received egg mass samples. This approach has also made extensive use of graphical presentations using geographic information systems. This paper describes the status of monitoring tools and systems for determining gypsy moth densities for management purposes and areas in need of continued research.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRavlin, F. William; Fleischer, S. J.; Carter, M. R.; Roberts, E. A.; McManus, M. L. 1991. A monitoring system for gypsy moth management. IN: Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Twery, Mark J.; Smith, Shirley I., eds. Proceedings, U.S. Department of Agriculture interagency gypsy moth research review 1990; East Windsor, CT. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-146. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 89-97.
- Leading edge gypsy moth population dynamics
- Sampling low-density gypsy moth populations
- Does thinning affect gypsy moth dynamics?
XML: View XML