Skip to Main Content
Microbial control of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) with Beauveria bassiana strain GHA: field applicationsAuthor(s): Houping Liu; Leah S. Bauer
Source: Biocontrol Science and Technology. 18(6): 571-585.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (266.61 KB)
DescriptionThe effects of Beauveria bassiana strain GHA, applied as BotaniGard ES, on newly colonised and well-established populations of emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) were evaluated in the field using foliar and trunk sprays in Michigan in 2004-2005. Results from field trials at a newly colonised white ash site showed a 41% reduction in A. planipennis population in fungal-treated trees compared with that of untreated controls. In addition, fungal infection was also found in 20% of the larval population within 14 days of incubation under laboratory conditions. At a site with a well-established A. planipennis population in green ash trees, larval density was reduced by 47% for trees treated with the fungus compared with that of the controls; 21% of larvae from the current generation were found infected after 14 days of laboratory incubation. Fungal-treated green ash trees also produced fewer adults emerging in the next generation, with a 63% reduction in adult density observed in treated trees compared to that of controls. As a result, fungal-treated trees sustained 42% less crown dieback than did controls. Agrilus planipennis larval density was negatively correlated with trunk height above the ground, and positively correlated with log diameter.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLiu, Houping; Bauer, Leah S. 2008. Microbial control of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) with Beauveria bassiana strain GHA: field applications. Biocontrol Science and Technology. 18(6): 571-585.
Keywordsemerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis, Beauveria bassiana strain GHA, conidial persistence, field applications, microbial control
- Genetic transformation of Fraxinus spp. for resistance to the emerald ash borer
- Electrophysiological response and attraction of emerald ash borer to green leaf volatiles (GLVs) emitted by host foliage
- Differential utilization of ash phloem by emerald ash borer larvae: Ash species and larval stage effects
XML: View XML