Skip to Main Content
Estimating top weights of hardwood sawtimberAuthor(s): Jeffery L. Wartluft
Source: Res. Pap. NE-427. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 7p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (914.32 KB)
DescriptionFor a more efficient use of the hardwood forest resource, tables were developed for estimating the weight of sawtimber tops, a major portion of logging residue. Regressions were developed for green and dry total treetop weight and treetop weight in material greater than 3 inches dob (diameter outside bark) for each of three species groups: soft hardwoods, hard hardwoods, and mixed hardwoods. Estimates of treetop weights (green) ranged from 763 pounds for an 1 1-inch dbh (diameter at breast height) tree to 4,165 pounds for a 26-inch dbh tree. Moisture content averaged 62 percent (oven-dry basis), and the average percent bark (green-weight basis) was 23.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWartluft, Jeffery L. 1978. Estimating top weights of hardwood sawtimber. Res. Pap. NE-427. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 7p.
- Weights of the Small Appalachian Hardwood Trees and Components
- Weight, Volume, and Physical Properties of Major Hardwood Species in the Gulf and Atlantic Coastal Plains
- Volume, Weight, and Pulping Properties Of 5-Year-OId Hardwoods
XML: View XML