Skip to Main Content
A cost analysis: processing maple syrup productsAuthor(s): Neil K. Huyler; Lawrence D. Garrett
Source: Res. Pap. NE-430. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 6p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (774.44 KB)
DescriptionA cost analysis of processing maple sap to syrup for three fuel types, oil-, wood-, and LP gas-fired evaporators, indicates that: (1) fuel, capital, and labor are the major cost components of processing sap to syrup; (2) wood-fired evaporators show a slight cost advantage over oil- and LP gas-fired evaporators; however, as the cost of wood approaches $50 per cord, wood as a fuel would no longer have this cost advantage; (3) economies of scale exist in processing maple sap to syrup; (4) in 1977 the total cost of production, including both sap production costs and processing costs, for a medium-size (750) gallons of syrup) operation was $8.36 per gallon of syrup for oil-fired evaporators, $7.97 per gallon of syrup for wood-fired evaporators, and $8.37 per gallon for LP gas-fired evaporators.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHuyler, Neil K.; Garrett, Lawrence D. 1979. A cost analysis: processing maple syrup products. Res. Pap. NE-430. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 6p.
- The cost of maple sugaring in Vermont
- Processing Maple Syrup with a Vapor Compression Distiller: An Economic Analysis
- Cost of Maple Sap Production for Various Size Tubing Operations
XML: View XML