Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Climatic regions as an indicator of forest coarse and fine woody debris carbon stocks in the United StatesAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Greg C. Liknes
Source: Carbon Balance and Management. 3:5.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (360.04 KB)
DescriptionCoarse and fine woody debris are substantial forest ecosystem carbon stocks; however, there is a lack of understanding how these detrital carbon stocks vary across forested landscapes. Because forest woody detritus production and decay rates may partially depend on climatic conditions, the accumulation of coarse and fine woody debris carbon stocks in forests may be correlated with climate. This study used a nationwide inventory of coarse and fine woody debris in the United States to examine how these carbon stocks vary by climatic regions and variables.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Liknes, Greg C. 2008. Climatic regions as an indicator of forest coarse and fine woody debris carbon stocks in the United States. Carbon Balance and Management. 3:5.
- Relationships between forest fine and coarse woody debris carbon stocks across latitudinal gradients in the United States as an indicator of climate change effects
- Biomass and carbon attributes of downed woody materials in forests of the United States
- Carbon flux of down woody materials in forests of the north central United States
XML: View XML