Skip to Main Content
Communicating old-growth forest management on the Allegheny National ForestAuthor(s): Brad Nelson; Chris Nowak; Dave deCalesta; Steve Wingate
Source: In: Communicating the role of silviculture in managing the national forests: Proceedings of the National Silviculture Workshop. 1997 May 19-22; Warren, PA.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-238. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 85-89.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (471.11 KB)
DescriptionSuccessful communication of old-growth management, including the role of silviculture, is achieved by integrating as a working whole the topics addressed in this workshop. We have used research, technology transfer and adaptive management to achieve this integration on the Allegheny National Forest. Program success depends on scientists and practitioners working together. Scientists spend more time in joint technology transfer activities and helping practitioners implement operational-level trials of new silviculture, including co-development of inventory and monitoring plans. Practitioners too have increased technology transfer responsibilities. Practitioners must think more like researchers, conceiving and applying innovative management but also developing ways to monitor the effects of those treatments.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, Brad; Nowak, Chris; Reitz, Scott; deCalesta, Dave; Wingate, Steve. 1997. Communicating old-growth forest management on the Allegheny National Forest. In: Communicating the role of silviculture in managing the national forests: Proceedings of the National Silviculture Workshop. 1997 May 19-22; Warren, PA.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-238. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 85-89.
- Tenth workshop on seedling physiology and growth problems in oak plantings
- Getting science out -- a boston mountains forest underplanting tool online
- Defining the role of silvicultural research in the Northeastern Forest Experiment Station
XML: View XML