Skip to Main Content
Use of expert systems for integrated silvicultural planningAuthor(s): Chris B. LeDoux
Source: In: Communicating the role of silviculture in managing the national forests: Proceedings of the National Silviculture Workshop. 1997 May 19-22; Warren, PA.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-238. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 90-95.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (434.24 KB)
DescriptionThe use of silvicultural treatments in hardwood stands presents opportunities for increasing the growth and yield of quality sawtimber and enhancing the suitability of the site for use by numerous species of wildlife. Planners, loggers, and managers must consider multiple aspects of the ecosystem when making silvicultural decisions. In this paper we demonstrate an integrated expert system called FOREX and explain how it can be used to make silvicultural decisions that integrate potential growth and yield, logging technology, economics, wildlife, markets, log prices, and the time value of money.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeDoux, Chris B. 1997. Use of expert systems for integrated silvicultural planning. In: Communicating the role of silviculture in managing the national forests: Proceedings of the National Silviculture Workshop. 1997 May 19-22; Warren, PA.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-238. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 90-95.
- Interdisciplinary research can provide information for the harvesting challenges of the 1990's
- Silviculture of southwestern ponderosa pine: The status of our knowledge
- Intelligent Model Management in a Forest Ecosystem Management Decision Support System
XML: View XML