Skip to Main Content
Foliage weight distribution in the upper crown of balsam firAuthor(s): Steven Kleinschmidt; Gordon L. Bakersville; Dale S. Solomon
Source: Res. Pap. NE-455. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 8p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (811.6 KB)
DescriptionA model was developed to predict the weight of foliage at each age on a branch for a given whorl from undefoliated balsam fir (Abies balsamea (L.) Mill.). The normal weight of foliage by age classes can be compared to the weight of foliage remaining on a branch to estimate recent, annual defoliation by spruce budworm (Choristoneura fumiferana (Clem.)). One branch from each whorl was sampled in the top half of each of 22 balsam fir trees in New Hampshire and New Brunswick. The foliage was separated by age, ovendried, and weighed. A system of equations was developed to predict the total foliage weight of a branch from variables that would be minimally affected by defoliation. A ratio was developed to estimate the proportion of foliage by each age class on a branch using whorl number, needle age, and flowering effect. The estimates of total foliage weight on a branch and the proportion of each age of foliage were combined to estimate the weight of foliage for each age on a given branch.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKleinschmidt, Steven; Bakersville, Gordon L.; Solomon, Dale S. 1980. Foliage weight distribution in the upper crown of balsam fir. Res. Pap. NE-455. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 8p.
- Foliar nutrient status of young red spruce and balsam fir in a fertilized stand
- Isolation and characterization of microsatellite markers in Fraser fir (Abies fraseri)
- Silvical characteristics of balsam fir (Abies balsamea)
XML: View XML