Skip to Main Content
The effect of sawbolt length on the yield of pallet materials from small-diameter hardwood treesAuthor(s): E. Paul Craft
Source: Res. Pap. NE-499. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 6p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (938.69 KB)
DescriptionFrom poletimber stand thinnings, 52 trees were bucked into 8-foot lengths, and 49 trees were felled and bucked into 10-foot lengths, The 8- and 10-foot pieces were sawed into pallet cants and side lumber suitable for pallet parts. The sawed yield, by tree, from each length category was compared to the predicted yield of the same trees if bucked into 4- and 6-foot bolts before sawing. Short-bolt processing of trees would have yielded 11 percent more than actual yields for trees cut into 8-foot sections, and 17 percent more than actual yields for trees cut into 10-foot sections.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCraft, E. Paul. 1982. The effect of sawbolt length on the yield of pallet materials from small-diameter hardwood trees. Res. Pap. NE-499. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 6p.
KeywordsProduet yields, poletimber thinnings, pallet parts, cants
- Furniture Cuttings Made from Logging Residue: The Three-Sided Cant System
- Power consumption and lumber yields for reduced-kerf circular saws cutting hardwoods
- Yield of pallet cants and lumber from hardwood poletimber thinnings
XML: View XML