Skip to Main Content
The effect of changes in lumber and furniture prices on wood furniture manufacturers' lumber usageAuthor(s): William G. Luppold
Source: Res. Pap. NE-514. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiement Station. 8p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (830.85 KB)
DescriptionWood furniture manufacturers' demands for oak, maple, poplar, open-grain, and close-grain lumber are estimated using cross-sectional, time-series techniques. The analyses indicate that the demand for open-grain species is more price responsive than the demand for close-grain species. The calculated cross-price elasticities indicate that furniture producers do substitute species through style decisions. However, poplar lumber has a negative cross-price elasticity, indicating that it is used with, rather than substituted for, other species.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William G. 1983. The effect of changes in lumber and furniture prices on wood furniture manufacturers'' lumber usage. Res. Pap. NE-514. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiement Station. 8p.
KeywordsEconomics, oak, maple, poplar
- The determinants of hardwood lumber price
- Impacts of changing hardwood lumber consumption and price on stumpage and sawlog prices in Ohio
- An examination of the relationships between hardwood lumber and stumpage prices in Ohio
XML: View XML