Skip to Main Content
System 6: making frame-quality blanks from white oak thinningsAuthor(s): Hugh W. Reynolds; Philip A. Araman
Source: Res. Pap. NE-520. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiement Station. 9p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (856.23 KB)
DescriptionLow-grade white oak timber removed during a timber stand improvement cut on the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia was made into sawlogs, poles, 6-foot bolts, 4-foot bolts, pulpwood, and firewood. The 6-foot bolts were sawed to two cants per bolt; cants were resawed to 4/4 System 6 boards; boards were dried to 6 percent moisture content and made into frame blanks using System 6 technology. The blanks were used by an upholstered furniture company to make frames and were found to be very satisfactory. Yields of required frame blanks were good, 56 percent, when only the poorest two-thirds of all boards were used. The better boards can be used to make clear-quality blanks.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReynolds, Hugh W.; Araman, Philip A. 1983. System 6: making frame-quality blanks from white oak thinnings. Res. Pap. NE-520. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiement Station. 9p.
KeywordsFurniture manufacturing, lumber drying, hardwood dimension
- Furniture Cuttings Made from Logging Residue: The Three-Sided Cant System
- System 6 used to make kitchen cabinet C2F blanks from small-diameter, low-grade red oak
- Yield of pallet cants and lumber from hardwood poletimber thinnings
XML: View XML