Skip to Main Content
The personal-use firewood program on three national forests: a cost analysisAuthor(s): Floyd G. Timson
Source: Res. Pap. NE-527. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiement Station. 8p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.14 MB)
DescriptionThe national forests provide a substantial volume of firewood for America's households. The 17 national forest districts studied spent over $148,000 to provide over 25,000 personal-use firewood permits during the calendar year 1981; 86 percent of the permits were for freewood mostly in the form of dead or down wood. The remaining 14 percent were for greenwood sold either to households in the form of pickup load sales or through the sale of personal-size boundaries of marked timber. It cost the 17 districts almost $6.00 per permit to provide this service. The cost per permit varied by the district issuing the permit and by the system used to provide the wood. The cost by district ranged from less than $0.50 to $32.00 per permit; by system the cost ranged from approximately $2.80 for a dead or down permit to over $56.00 a permit to prepare a personal-size sale.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTimson, Floyd G. 1983. The personal-use firewood program on three national forests: a cost analysis. Res. Pap. NE-527. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiement Station. 8p.
Keywordstimber utilization, energy wood
- Nontimber forest products in Daniel Boone National Forest region--economic significance and potential for sustainability
- Economic implications for management of structural retention on harvest units at the Blue River Ranger District, Willamette National Forest, Oregon.
- Economic and environmental benefits of community-scale cordwood hydronic heaters in Alaska—three case studies
XML: View XML