Skip to Main Content
Using classification tree analysis to predict oak wilt distribution in Minnesota and TexasAuthor(s): Marla c. Downing; Vernon L. Thomas; Jennifer Juzwik; David N. Appel; Robin M. Reich; Kim Camilli
Source: In: Billings, Ronald F.; Appel, David N., eds. The proceedings of the 2nd national oak wilt symposium; 2007 June 4-7; Austin, TX. National Oak Wilt Symposium: 67-83.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (470.86 KB)
DescriptionWe developed a methodology and compared results for predicting the potential distribution of Ceratocystis fagacearum (causal agent of oak wilt), in both Anoka County, MN, and Fort Hood, TX. The Potential Distribution of Oak Wilt (PDOW) utilizes a binary classification tree statistical technique that incorporates: geographical information systems (GIS); field sample data; commonly available, inexpensive, coarse-resolution auxiliary data; and satellite imagery from both Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM) and SPOT to predict the spatial distribution of oak wilt. Two types of model evaluations were conducted -- a ten-fold cross validation and an assessment using additional oak wilt data that had been verified in the field. These evaluations indicated that at the landscape scale PDOW correctly models the presence of oak wilt, and accurately predicts oak wilt distribution in Anoka County, MN and Fort Hood, TX.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDowning, Marla c.; Thomas, Vernon L.; Juzwik, Jennifer; Appel, David N.; Reich, Robin M.; Camilli, Kim. 2008. Using classification tree analysis to predict oak wilt distribution in Minnesota and Texas. In: Billings, Ronald F.; Appel, David N., eds. The proceedings of the 2nd national oak wilt symposium; 2007 June 4-7; Austin, TX. National Oak Wilt Symposium: 67-83.
KeywordsCeratocystis fagacearum</i., classification tree, decision tree, Landsat TM, spatial statistics, SPOT satellite imagery
- Oak wilt
- Oak wilt and oak decline in the upper midwest USA
- Oak wilt: a potential threat to southern and western oak forests
XML: View XML