Skip to Main Content
North American long-term soil productivity research programAuthor(s): Allan E. Tiarks; Robert F. Powers; Jerry F. Ragus; Deborah S. Page-Dumroese; Felix, Jr. Ponder; Douglas M. Stone
Source: In: Communicating the role of silviculture in managing the national forests: Proceedings of the National Silviculture Workshop. 1997 May 19-22; Warren, PA.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-238. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 140-147.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (735.42 KB)
DescriptionThe National Long-term Soil Productivity research program was chartered to address National Forest Management Act concerns over possible losses in soil productivity on National Forest lands. The program supports validation of soil quality monitoring standards and process-level productivity research. Summarized results are supplied to Forests as collected. National Forest managers use them in developing forest plans and modifying management practices. Results are treated as the best available evidence and are used within the adaptive management process.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTiarks, Allan E.; Buford, Marilyn A.; Powers, Robert F.; Ragus, Jerry F.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Ponder, Felix, Jr.; Stone, Douglas M. 1997. North American long-term soil productivity research program. In: Communicating the role of silviculture in managing the national forests: Proceedings of the National Silviculture Workshop. 1997 May 19-22; Warren, PA.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-238. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 140-147.
- North American long-term soil productivity research program
- Long-term soil productivity: genesis of the concept and principles behind the program
- Soil Quality as an Indicator of Forest Health: an Overview and Initial Results from the USFS Forest Inventory and Analysis Soil Indicator Program
XML: View XML