Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of firewood bagging and vacuum treatment for regulatory control of emerald ash borerAuthor(s): Therese M. Poland; Tina M. Kuhn; Chen Zhangjing; Andrea Diss-Torrance; Erin L. Clark
Source: In: Mastro, Victor; Lance, David; Reardon, Richard; Parra, Gregory, comps. Emerald ash borer research and development meeting; 2007 October 23-24; Pittsburgh, PA. FHTET 2008-07. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 24-26.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (92.41 KB)
DescriptionSince its discovery in Detroit, Michigan, in 2002, the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), has caused extensive mortality of ash (Fraxinus spp.) as it has spread across southeast Michigan, Ohio, and Ontario, Canada (Haack et al. 2002, Poland and McCullough 2006). In addition to this core infested area, numerous outlier populations have been found throughout Michigan's Lower Peninsula, Ohio, Indiana, and Ontario, Canada, as well as isolated infestations in Maryland, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Spread of A. planipennis is a result of natural dispersal and human-assisted movement of infested materials, including movement of ash nursery stock, logs, and firewood. Agrilus planipennis can survive and emerge from logs cut from infested trees; therefore, movement of ash logs from infested to uninfested counties is regulated by a federal quarantine (USDA APHIS 2003).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPoland, Therese M.; Kuhn, Tina M.; Zhangjing, Chen; Diss-Torrance, Andrea; Clark, Erin L. 2008. Evaluation of firewood bagging and vacuum treatment for regulatory control of emerald ash borer. In: Mastro, Victor; Lance, David; Reardon, Richard; Parra, Gregory, comps. Emerald ash borer research and development meeting; 2007 October 23-24; Pittsburgh, PA. FHTET 2008-07. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 24-26.
- Host range of emerald ash borer
- Developing attractants and trapping techniques for the emerald ash borer
- Economic assessment of potential emerald ash borer damage in urban areas in the United States
XML: View XML