Skip to Main Content
The Effect Of Age At Harvest On Bending And Tensile Properties Of Loblolly Pine From The Coastal PlainAuthor(s): Robert H. McAlister; Alexander Clark; Joseph R. Saucier
Source: This paper was received for publication in March 1996. Reprint No. 8506. Forest Products Society 1997. Forest Prod. J. 47(5):85-88. 4 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (100 KB)
DescriptionThe effect of rotation age on strength and stiffness of lumber produced from unthinned loblolly pine stands in the Coastal Plain of Georgia was examined. Six stands representing 22-, 28-, and 40-year-old roations were sampled. A stratified random sample of trees 8 to 16 inches in diameter at breast height was selected from each stand and processed into lumber. Dimension lumber from the study was tested for strength and stiffness in both static bending and tension according to the provisions of the American Society for Testing and Materials standard method D 198. The strength and stiffness in both bending and tension generally increased with increasing rotation age.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcAlister, Robert H.; Clark, Alexander, III; Saucier, Joseph R. 1997. The Effect Of Age At Harvest On Bending And Tensile Properties Of Loblolly Pine From The Coastal Plain. This paper was received for publication in March 1996. Reprint No. 8506. Forest Products Society 1997. Forest Prod. J. 47(5):85-88. 4 p.
- Strength and Stiffness Properties of Sweetgum and Yellow-poplar Structural Lumber
- Potential Utilization of Sweetgum and Yellow-Poplar for Structural Lumber
- The influence of juvenile wood content on shear parallel, compression,and tension perpendicular to grain strength and mode I fracture toughness of loblolly pine at various ring orientation
XML: View XML