Skip to Main Content
Forestry in U.S. Climate Change Action Plans: From the Arch to KyotoAuthor(s): Robert J. Moulton
Source: Proceedings of the 1998 Southern Forest Economics Workshop, March 25-27, 1998, Williamsburg, Virginia
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (83 KB)
DescriptionThe international community has played a major role in prompting actions to address global climate change. The 1989 Summit of the Arch in Paris resulted in President Bush's announcement in his 1990 State of the Union message of the America the Beautiful (ATB) program, which greatly expanded federal funding for urban forestry and for forest stewardship programs for NIPF ownerships; the 1992 Rio Earth Summit set the stage for President Clinton's Climate Change Action Plan (CCAP); and the recent Kyoto Climate Change Conference gave major emphasis to forestry. While never publicly announced as such, ATB was conceived and designed as the first federal effort to employ forestry activities to offset U.S. CO2 emissions. This early effort was retied at the 1993 White House Conference Climate Change Sinks Workshop, which preceeded the CCAP. Forestry is in the spotlight, as the world moves toward mandatory targets and timetables following Kyoto.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoulton, Robert J. 1998. Forestry in U.S. Climate Change Action Plans: From the Arch to Kyoto. Proceedings of the 1998 Southern Forest Economics Workshop, March 25-27, 1998, Williamsburg, Virginia
- C40 Large cities climate summit 2009 -- from Seoul to Copenhagen
- Raw materials from the public lands in century 21
- Summary of prospective global change impacts on northern U.S. forest ecosystems
XML: View XML