Skip to Main Content
Effect of vertical integration on the utilization of hardwood resourcesAuthor(s): Jan Wiedenbeck
Source: In: Proceedings of the annual hardwood symposium, Current topics in the processing and utilization of hardwood lumber. May 30 - June 1, 2002: Fall Creek Falls, TN. 144-146.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (268.26 KB)
DescriptionThe effectiveness of vertical integration in promoting the efficient utilization of the hardwood resource in the eastern United States was assessed during a series of interviews with vertically integrated hardwood manufacturers in the Appalachian region. Data from 19 companies that responded to the 1996 phone survey indicate that: 1) vertically integrated hardwood manufacturers can achieve higher value-added product yields from their sawmill's log inputs, 2) there are numerous lumber exchange systems in place within these firms, and 3) the goals and benefits derived from vertical integration are varied and complex.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWiedenbeck, Jan. 2002. Effect of vertical integration on the utilization of hardwood resources. In: Proceedings of the annual hardwood symposium, Current topics in the processing and utilization of hardwood lumber. May 30 - June 1, 2002: Fall Creek Falls, TN. 144-146.
- Marketing low-grade hardwoods for furniture stock - a new approach
- Automation for Primary Processing of Hardwoods
- Efficient utilization of red maple lumber in glued-laminated timber beams
XML: View XML