Skip to Main Content
Growth and shifts in eastern hardwood lumber productionAuthor(s): William G. Luppold; Gilbert P. Dempsey
Source: In: Gillespie, Andrew R.; Parker, George R.; Pope, Phillip E.; Rink, George: eds. Proceedings of the 9th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-161. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 17-22
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.61 MB)
DescriptionAn analysis of recent trends in eastern U.S. hardwood lumber production indicates that total output increased sharply between 1977 and 1991. The increase, however, was much more pronounced in the East's northern tier of states than in the southern. This paper first examines recent hardwood lumber usage trends and historic hardwood lumber production trends. Changes in hardwood lumber production over the last 15 years are then related to changes in national hardwood lumber demand and regional differences in timber attributes.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William G.; Dempsey, Gilbert P. 1993. Growth and shifts in eastern hardwood lumber production. In: Gillespie, Andrew R.; Parker, George R.; Pope, Phillip E.; Rink, George: eds. Proceedings of the 9th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-161. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 17-22
- Relative price trends for hardwood stumpage, sawlogs, and lumber in Ohio
- Examination of worldwide hardwood lumber production, trade, and apparent consumption: 1995-2013
- Changes in U.S. hardwood lumber exports, 1990 to 2008
XML: View XML