Skip to Main Content
Susceptibility of regeneration in clearcuts to defoliation by gypsy mothAuthor(s): Ray R., Jr. Hicks; Robert M. Fultineer; Barbara S. Ware; Kurt W. Gottschalk
Source: In: Gillespie, Andrew R.; Parker, George R.; Pope, Phillip E.; Rink, George: eds. Proceedings of the 9th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-161. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 145-155
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.23 MB)
DescriptionIn 1991 and 1992, we observed gypsy moth defoliation of oak regeneration in clearcuts of varying sizes and ages. We established plots in the surrounding mature forests to document ambient gypsy moth population levels and placed subplots within the clearcuts designed to examine the effect of location relative to the clearcut edge. We found that the levels of defoliation on oak regeneration in the clearcuts closely approximated that of the adjacent mature forests. Clearcut age seemed to have little effect on rate of defoliation, but larger clearcuts (> 25 acres) had somewhat lower average defoliation, particularly in the subplots near the center. We established a more intensive sample in 3 large clearcut (> 25 acres) and found that the larvae appeared to originate from the surrounding stands.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHicks, Ray R., Jr.; Fultineer, Robert M.; Ware, Barbara S.; Gottschalk, Kurt W. 1993. Susceptibility of regeneration in clearcuts to defoliation by gypsy moth. In: Gillespie, Andrew R.; Parker, George R.; Pope, Phillip E.; Rink, George: eds. Proceedings of the 9th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-161. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 145-155
- Forest stand conditions after 13 years of gypsy moth infestation
- Gypsy moth effects on mast production
- Gypsy moth impacts on oak acorn production
XML: View XML