Skip to Main Content
Vegetation of loess bluff ravines in the Jackson Purchase Region of KentuckyAuthor(s): William S. Bryant
Source: In: Gillespie, Andrew R.; Parker, George R.; Pope, Phillip E.; Rink, George: eds. Proceedings of the 9th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-161. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 281-288
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.27 MB)
DescriptionForest vegetation of some loess bluff ravines in the Jackson Purchase Region of Kentucky was sampled. A total of 27 tree species comprised the mixed mesophytic association with Acer saccharum, Fagus grandifolia and Liquidambar styraciflua as the dominants. This assemblage of species agrees with that reported for the loess bluffs over 100 years ago. Basal area averaged 27.2 m?/ha; density 289.5 trees/ha; and diversity (H') ranged from 3.01-3.52. Species similarity was stronger between the forests of the loess bluffs and those of the Appalachians, but especially the dissected Illinoian till plains, than to adjacent communities on thin loess. Disjuncts from Braun's Mixed Mesophytic Forest Region, Tilia heterophylla and Magnolia acuminata, and the composition of loess bluff forests relative to other forests in the Jackson Purchase tend to support the refugial nature of the loess bluff ravines.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBryant, William S. 1993. Vegetation of loess bluff ravines in the Jackson Purchase Region of Kentucky. In: Gillespie, Andrew R.; Parker, George R.; Pope, Phillip E.; Rink, George: eds. Proceedings of the 9th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-161. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 281-288
- Species composition changes under individual tree selection cutting in cove hardwoods
- Release of 7-year-old underplanted white pine using hexazinone applied with a spot gun
- Forty-two years of change in an old-growth and second-growth beech-maple forest of north central Ohio
XML: View XML