Skip to Main Content
Estimating the size of the hardwood sawmill industry in PennsylvaniaAuthor(s): Paul M. Smith; William G. Luppold; Sudipta Dasmohapatra
Source: Forest Products Journal 53(6):19-22
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (620.86 KB)
DescriptionThe size of the hardwood sawmill industry in Pennsylvania in 1999 is estimated at 1.311 BBF by 556 mills. Study results show an 11 percent higher estimate of the volume of hardwood lumber produced and a 60 percent greater number of Pennsylvania sawmills in 1999 as compared to the 1.186 BBF of hardwood lumber by 339 sawmills estimated by the USDC Census Bureau for the same year (USDC 2001). The difference between our estimates and those of the USDC Census Bureau is believed to be the result of the difficulty in defining and locating small sawmills. Compared with Census, our study found 73 percent more sawmills with less than 20 employees (n = 473 in this study vs. 273 in USDC) in 1999.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSmith, Paul M.; Luppold, William G.; Dasmohapatra, Sudipta. 2003. Estimating the size of the hardwood sawmill industry in Pennsylvania. Forest Products Journal 53(6):19-22
- A profile of Pennsylvania's hardwood sawmill industry
- Changes in Eastern US Sawmill Employment and Estimated Hardwood Lumber Production from 2001 to 2015
- Use of advanced hardwood sawmill equipment, and desired features for next-generation systems
XML: View XML