Skip to Main Content
Modeling the effects of urban vegetation on air pollutionAuthor(s): David J. Nowak; Patrick J. McHale; Myriam Ibarra; Daniel Crane; Jack C. Stevens; Chris J. Luley
Source: In: Gryning, Sven-Erik; Chaumerliac, Nadine, eds. Air pollution modeling and its application XII. New York; Plenum Press: 399-407.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.64 MB)
DescriptionUrban vegetation can directly and indirectly affect local and regional air quality by altering the urban atmospheric environment. Trees affect local air temperature by transpiring water through their leaves, by blocking solar radiation (tree shade), which reduces radiation absorption and heat storage by various anthropogenic surfaces (e.g., buildings, roads), and by altering wind characteristics that affect air dispersion.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNowak, David J.; McHale, Patrick J.; Ibarra, Myriam; Crane, Daniel; Stevens, Jack C.; Luley, Chris J. 1998. Modeling the effects of urban vegetation on air pollution. In: Gryning, Sven-Erik; Chaumerliac, Nadine, eds. Air pollution modeling and its application XII. New York; Plenum Press: 399-407.
- The atmospheric system: Air quality and greenhouse gases
- Environmental and economic benefits of preserving forests within urban areas: air and water quality. Chapter 4.
- Les effets des arbres et de la forêt sur la qualité de l’air et la santé humaine dans et autour des zones urbaines [Tree and forest effects on air quality and human health]
XML: View XML