Skip to Main Content
Forest-land owners of Maine, 1982Author(s): Thomas W. Birch
Source: Resour. Bull. NE-90. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 83p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (5.21 MB)
DescriptionInformation about the attitudes and objectives of the private forest-land owners is essential to understanding Maine's forest resources. Ninety-six percent of Maine's 17 million acres of timberland is in 180,900 private ownerships. Ninety-two percent of these ownerships are individual and joint ownerships. A majority, 66 percent of the owners, live within a mile of their nearest tract, and 72 percent own only one tract. Benefits other than timber production are most important to a majority of Maine's landowners, but 61 percent of the timberland is in ownerships that have timber production as the primary reason for owning forest land. Fifty-three percent of the private owners have harvested trees from their land, they own 92 percent of the private forest land. Fifty-three percent of the private owners with almost 14 million acres of forest land allow public use of their forest land for recreation.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirch, Thomas W. 1986. Forest-land owners of Maine, 1982. Resour. Bull. NE-90. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 83p.
- The forest-land owners of New York
- The forest-land owners of Pennsylvania
- The forest-land owners of Kentucky
XML: View XML