Skip to Main Content
Influence of markets and forest composition on lumber production in PennsylvaniaAuthor(s): William G. Luppold; Matthew S. Bumgardner
Source: Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 23(2):87-93
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (813.23 KB)
DescriptionIn this study, we examine regional differences in the hardwood timber resources of Pennsylvania and how the combined changes in inventory volume, forest composition, and lumber prices have influenced regional lumber production. Isolation of these relationships is important because shifts in lumber production reflect changes in harvesting activity. In turn, harvesting influences long-term forest composition and structure. We define three hardwood regions in Pennsylvania based on forest composition and present a chronology of regional changes in sawtimber volumes, sawtimber composition, and lumber production. Regional changes in hardwood lumber production were found to be positively related to changes in the price of No. 1 Common lumber adjusted for changes in forest composition between 1970 and 1999. This finding supports our contention that regional changes in lumber production are influenced by a combination of changes in interspecies lumber price and changes in species availability.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William G.; Bumgardner, Matthew S. 2006. Influence of markets and forest composition on lumber production in Pennsylvania. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 23(2):87-93
KeywordsHardwood, lumber, sawmill, sawtimber
- Regional Changes in the Timber Resources of and Lumber Production in Pennsylvania
- U.S. forest products module : a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment
- The annual increase of Northeastern regional timber stumpage prices: 1961 to 2002
XML: View XML