Skip to Main Content
Rough mill simulator version 3.0: an analysis tool for refining rough mill operationsAuthor(s): Edward Thomas; Joel Weiss
Source: Forest Products Journal 56(5):53-58
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (972.28 KB)
DescriptionROMI-3 is a rough mill computer simulation package designed to be used by both rip-first and chop-first rough mill operators and researchers. ROMI-3 allows users to model and examine the complex relationships among cutting bill, lumber grade mix, processing options, and their impact on rough mill yield and efficiency. Integrated into the ROMI-3 software is a new least-cost grade mix solver that determines the most inexpensive grade mix to process with regard to both purchase and processing costs. In addition, ROMI-3 now has a new gang-ripsaw optimizer that determines the optimal fixed-blade saw spacing sequence based on the user's lumber width distribution, cutting bill, and processing configuration. For each simulation, ROMI-3 reports the amount of lumber and number of cutting operations required to complete processing of a cutting bill, as well as part tallies by lumber grade and overall.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThomas, Edward; Weiss, Joel. 2006. Rough mill simulator version 3.0: an analysis tool for refining rough mill operations. Forest Products Journal 56(5):53-58
- ROMI-3: Rough-Mill Simulator Version 3.0: User's Guide
- ROMI 4.0: Updated Rough Mill Simulator
- ROMI 4.0: Rough mill simulator 4.0 users manual
XML: View XML