Skip to Main Content
Cold in the common garden: comparative low-temperature tolerance of boreal and temperate conifer foliageAuthor(s): G. Richard Strimbeck; Trygve D. Kjellsen; Paul G. Schaberg; Paula F. Murakami
Source: Trees. 21: 557-567.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (447.18 KB)
DescriptionBecause they maintain green foliage throughout the winter season, evergreen conifers may face special physiological challenges in a warming world. We assessed the midwinter low-temperature (LT) tolerance of foliage from eight temperate and boreal species in each of the genera Abies, Picea, and Pinus growing in an arboretum in Trondheim, Norway, using relative electrolyte leakage (REL) as an index of cell injury. Relatively LT sensitive species came from temperate coastal and Mediterranean environments and displayed a well-defined sigmoidal response to LT stress, with LT50 ranging from -27 to -38°C. Species originating from boreal regions were not lethally stressed by slow freezing to temperatures as low as -80°C, while species from temperate mountains and continental interiors displayed intermediate responses, with LT50s ranging from -33 to -44°C.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStrimbeck, G. Richard; Kjellsen, Trygve D.; Schaberg, Paul G.; Murakami, Paula F. 2007. Cold in the common garden: comparative low-temperature tolerance of boreal and temperate conifer foliage. Trees. 21: 557-567.
Keywordsfrost tolerance, winter physiology, sugars, biogeography
- Dynamics of low-temperature acclimation in temperate and boreal conifer foliage in a mild winter climate
- Going to extremes: low temperature tolerance and acclimation in temperate and boreal conifers
- Forest health status in Russia
XML: View XML