Skip to Main Content
Private forest owners of the Central Hardwood ForestAuthor(s): Thomas W. Birch
Source: In: Pallardy, Stephen G.; Cecich, Robert A.; Garrett, H. Gene; Johnson, Paul S., eds. Proceedings of the 11th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-188. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 89-97
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.5 MB)
DescriptionA recently completed survey of woodland owners provides insight into the owners of private forest lands in the Central Hardwood Region. There is increasing parcelization of forested lands and an increase in the numbers of nonindustrial private forest-land owners. Over half of the private owners have harvested timber from their holdings at some time in the past, they control three-quarters of the private forest. Owners have a positive attitude toward timber cutting at a time when there is greater demand for products from the forest. Because private forest owners have virtually total authority over their lands, it is essential that we monitor this resource and maintain good stewardship to ensure continued productivity for future generations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirch, Thomas W. 1997. Private forest owners of the Central Hardwood Forest. In: Pallardy, Stephen G.; Cecich, Robert A.; Garrett, H. Gene; Johnson, Paul S., eds. Proceedings of the 11th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-188. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 89-97
- Characterizing Virginia's private forest owners and their forest lands.
- Characterizing Virginia's Private Forest Owners and Their Forest Lands
- Forest-land owners of Maine, 1982
XML: View XML