Skip to Main Content
Changes in fine root dynamics and distribution along a chronosequence of upland oak-hickory forestsAuthor(s): Travis W. Idol; Phillip E. Pope; Felix, Jr. Ponder
Source: In: Pallardy, Stephen G.; Cecich, Robert A.; Garrett, H. Gene; Johnson, Paul S., eds. Proceedings of the 11th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-188. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 170-171
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (378.52 KB)
DescriptionCentral Hardwood forests regenerate rapidly following a major disturbance like a clear-cut. The subsequent aboveground growth and development of the resulting stands have been well-documented for these forests. However, the belowground components, specifically the dynamics of fine roots, are not well understood. Fine roots are the main vectors through which plants uptake water and nutrients and represent a significant proportion of a plant's net primary productivity. Studying the dynamics of fine roots during stand/forest development is essential to understand forest ecosystems and for responsible forest management.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationIdol, Travis W.; Pope, Phillip E.; Ponder, Felix, Jr. 1997. Changes in fine root dynamics and distribution along a chronosequence of upland oak-hickory forests. In: Pallardy, Stephen G.; Cecich, Robert A.; Garrett, H. Gene; Johnson, Paul S., eds. Proceedings of the 11th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-188. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 170-171
- The Role of Fine Root Dynamics in the N and P Cycles of Regenerating Upland Oak-Hickory Forests
- The Effects of Harvesting on Long-Term Soil Productivity in Southern Indiana Oak-Hickory Forests
- Carbon and nitrogen pools in oak-hickory forests of varying productivity
XML: View XML