Skip to Main Content
Evaluating management practices for log-grown shiitake production in Midwestern agroforestryAuthor(s): Johann N. Bruhn; Jeanne D. Mihail; James J., Jr. Wetteroff; Travis A. Clark; James B. Pickens
Source: In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 88-100
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (258.04 KB)
DescriptionTwo experiments evaluating outdoor shiitake cultivation practices in the Central United States were established at the same site in December 1999 and May 2000. Natural fruiting began in August 2000. We compare two response variables: traditional Biological Efficiency and W/UV (the weight of harvested mushrooms in g per 100-cm³ of initial undiscolored wood volume). Use of W/UV provided clearer statistical distinction among experimental factors. Significant differences were detected in year 2000 data among shiitake strains, substrate log species, and spawn forms. We expect shifts in pattern of treatment differences as the experiments proceed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBruhn, Johann N.; Mihail, Jeanne D.; Wetteroff, James J., Jr.; Clark, Travis A.; Pickens, James B. 2003. Evaluating management practices for log-grown shiitake production in Midwestern agroforestry. In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 88-100
- Spectrophotometry of Artemisia tridentata to quantitatively determine subspecies
- Combined ultraviolet and water exposure as a preconditioning method in laboratory fungal durability testing
- Growth, shoot phenology and physiology of diverse seed sources of black spruce: I Seedling responses to varied atmospheric CO2 concentrations and photoperiods
XML: View XML