Skip to Main Content
Riparian forest communities of the lower Kaskaskia River bottomsAuthor(s): Susan P. Romano; James J. Zaczek; Karl W. J. Williard; Sara Baer; Andrew D. Carver; Jean C. Mangun
Source: In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 159-166
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (216.15 KB)
DescriptionHydrologic alterations due to dam construction may have altered the floodplain ecology of the Lower Kaskaskia River. Seven forest communities within the study site were identified. Floodplain communities include Acer negundo-Celtis occidentalis-Acer saccharinum, Acer saccharinum-Acer negundo, and Celtis occidentalis-Ulmus americana. Quercus and Carya species were found in both floodplain and upland areas. Quercus stellata flats and Acer saccharum occupied upland portions of the study site. This community similarity analysis provides a basis for further research on the effects of flood duration, timing, and depth on the current and historical riparian forest community.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRomano, Susan P.; Zaczek, James J.; Williard, Karl W. J.; Baer, Sara; Carver, Andrew D.; Mangun, Jean C. 2003. Riparian forest communities of the lower Kaskaskia River bottoms. In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 159-166
- Early Stump Sprout Development after Two Levels of Harvest in a Midwestern Bottomland Hardwood Forest
- Study Cold-Soaking Treatment of Posts of Delta Hardwoods
- Shifts in relative stocking of common tree species in Kentucky from 1975 to 2004
XML: View XML