Skip to Main Content
Expression of Russian Wheat Aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae) Resistance in Genotypes of Tall Fescue Harboring Different Isolates of Acremonium EndophyteAuthor(s): S.L. Clement; D.G. Lester; A. Dan Wilson; R.C. Johnson; J.H. Bouton
Source: J. Econ. Entomol. 89(3): 766-770 (1996)
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (212 KB)
DescriptionExperiments were conducted to compare the expression of Russian wheat aphid, Diurnphis noxia (Mordvilko), resistance in 2 genotypes of tall fescue grass, Festucn arundinacea Schreb., harboring different isolates of the endophytic fungus Acremonium coenophialum Morgan-Jones & cams. Aphids did not select endophyte-free over endophyte-infected tiller sections in laboratory tests. In a laboratory population growth test, aphid numbers declined for 2 d on all endophyte-free plants and then increased. Aphid mortality was 100% on all infected plants after 4 d. Thus, antibiosis resistance to D. noxia was not specific to tall fescue genotype or to Acremonium isolate. In a field plot, numbers of Russian wheat aphids were significantly higher on endophyte-free tall fescue. Using these results, and results of other studies involving Acremonium-enhanced resistance to D. noxia in tall fescue and other host grasses, the potential for using D. noxia to screen grass germplasm for Acremonium fungiis discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationClement, S.L.; Lester, D.G.; Wilson, A. Dan; Johnson, R.C.; Bouton, J.H. 1996. Expression of Russian Wheat Aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae) Resistance in Genotypes of Tall Fescue Harboring Different Isolates of Acremonium Endophyte. J. Econ. Entomol. 89(3): 766-770 (1996)
Keywordsaphids, Diuruphis noxia, Acremonium fungi, grass, plant resistance
- Resistance of Endophyte-Infected Plants of Tall Fescue and Perennial Ryegrass to the Russian Wheat Aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae)
- Behavioural responses of wheat stem sawflies to wheat volatiles
- Thermal transitions of the amorphous polymers in wheat straw
XML: View XML