Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Litterfall of two southern Appalachian cove hardwood forestsAuthor(s): Aaron M. White; Gary L. Rolfe
Source: In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 317-322
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (113.09 KB)
DescriptionThe current study is a component of a larger study interested in determining ecological change of the mixed-mesophytic forest from the Southern Appalachian Mountains to its far most western branches occurring in Illinois. Although there are numerous reports in the literature on litterfall, no reports were found describing litterfall within undisturbed old growth cove hardwood forest of the Southern Appalachian Mountains. The main purpose of this study was to determine annual litterfall rates for an undisturbed old growth cove hardwood forest and second growth cove hardwood forest of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and to compare the findings for the two forests of different successional stages.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWhite, Aaron M.; Rolfe, Gary L. 2003. Litterfall of two southern Appalachian cove hardwood forests. In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 317-322
- Stand age and habitat influences on salamanders in Appalachian cove hardwood forests
- Species diversity and composition in old growth and second growth rich coves of the southern Appalachian Mountains
- American Chestnut, Rhododendron, and the Future Of Appalachian Cove Forests
XML: View XML