Skip to Main Content
SILVAH 5.1: developing interim guidelines for managing oak in Pennsylvania through multi-agency cooperationAuthor(s): Patrick Brose; Susan Stout; Gary Miller; Kurt Gottschalk
Source: In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 360
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (17.77 KB)
DescriptionThe SILVAH decision-support system developed by numerous researchers at the Forestry Sciences Lab in Irvine, PA, has a proven track record for prescribing appropriate silvicultural treatments for the cherry-maple and northern hardwood forests of the Allegheny Plateau region. However, it has had only limited usage in mixed-oak forests of the same region and virtually no usage in the mixed-oak forests of neighboring regions (Ridge and Valley, Blue Ridge Mountains, etc.) of Pennsylvania because it is not perceived to be applicable to these regions. In late 1999, the Northeastern Research Station, Pennsylvania Bureau of Forestry, Pennsylvania State University, Allegheny National Forest, and the private sector began a cooperative effort to make SILVAH more applicable and widely used.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrose, Patrick; Stout, Susan; Miller, Gary; Gottschalk, Kurt. 2003. SILVAH 5.1: developing interim guidelines for managing oak in Pennsylvania through multi-agency cooperation. In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 360
- Community and edaphic analysis of mixed oak forests in the ridge and valley province of central Pennsylvania
- Development of interim oak assessment guidelines for the silvah decision-support system
- Spatial modeling and inventories for prioritizing investment into oak-hickory restoration
XML: View XML