Skip to Main Content
Assessing tree care professionals' awareness and knowledge about the Asian Longhorned BeetleAuthor(s): Jason M. Hathaway; Cem M. Basman; Susan C. Barro
Source: In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 397-403
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (150.99 KB)
DescriptionThe level of knowledge and awareness possessed by tree care professionals about the Asian Longhorned Beetle (ALB) is critical for the successful detection and eradication of this pest. A small sample of tree care professionals was surveyed about the ALB (from within the City of Chicago) in the summer of 2001. Results indicate that only 35 percent of survey respondents were "informed" (answered all questions correctly) with respect to the four ALB knowledge questions. Only 35 percent of respondents who reported having "high experience" dealing with pest infestations were "informed" with respect to the four ALB knowledge questions. An increased effort in educating professionals in the green industry may result in swift detection and eradication of the ALB and future pest infestations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHathaway, Jason M.; Basman, Cem M.; Barro, Susan C. 2003. Assessing tree care professionals'' awareness and knowledge about the Asian Longhorned Beetle. In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 397-403
- Asian longhorned beetle successes and challenges in 2008
- Robust surveillance and control of invasive species using a scenario optimization approach
- Monitoring Asian longhorned beetles in Massachusetts
XML: View XML