Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Nutrition and irrigation regime affect size and early growth of white oak seedlingsAuthor(s): Paul P. Kormanik; Shi-Jean S. Sung; Taryn L. Kormanik; Thomas Tibbs; Stanley J. Zarnoch
Source: In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 425-430
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (258.54 KB)
DescriptionModifications of our nursery protocol for oaks during 1997 and 1998 by instituting dormant season irrigation resulted in high white oak seedling quality. The improved growth was associated with the consistent presence of succulent fibrous roots on the upper 10 to 15 cm of taproots. Many of these fibrous roots on 1-1 stock were as sturdy as many of the permanent first-order lateral roots. White oak seedlings from the 1998 nursery crop grown under the modified irrigation schedule have developed well in the field. At age 4 many are 4.0 m tall with up to 50 mm stem diameters.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKormanik, Paul P.; Sung, Shi-Jean S.; Kormanik, Taryn L.; Tibbs, Thomas; Zarnoch, Stanley J. 2003. Nutrition and irrigation regime affect size and early growth of white oak seedlings. In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 425-430
- Performance of nutrient-loaded red oak and white oak seedlings on mine lands in southern Indiana
- Effect of acorn moisture content at sowing on germination and seedling growth of white oak and northern red oak
- Response of white oak and black oak seedlings to a mid-story removal
XML: View XML