Skip to Main Content
Behavior Performance of Diuraphis noxia (Homoptera: Aphididae) on Fungal Endophyte-Infected and Uninfected Perennial RyegrassAuthor(s): S.L. Clement; D.G. Lester; A. Dan Wilson; K.S. Pike
Source: J. Econ. Entomol. 85(2): 583-588 (1992)
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (135 KB)
DescriptionThe behavior and performance of the Russian wheat aphid, Diuraphis noxia (Mordvilko), on fungal endophyte-infected and endophyte-free perennial ryegrass, Lolium perenne L., was investigated in the laboratory and field. Aphids did not select endophyte-free over endophyte-infected leaf sheaths and stem segments in petri dish preference tests. Similarly, the probing behavior of D. noxia on endophyte-free and infected L. perenne did not vary in laboratory tests. However, compared with aphid counts on endophyte-free plants, counts on infected plants were significantly lower on the first day and thereafter in laboratory population growth tests. Numbers of D. noxia were higher on endophyte-free plants than on infected plants of L. perenne in replicated field plots. The results are discussed in relation to the possible mechanisms of resistance involved, our knowledge of the performance of other cereal aphids on endophyte-infected grasses, and the use of endophytic fungi as aphid biocontrol agents.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationClement, S.L.; Lester, D.G.; Wilson, A. Dan; Pike, K.S. 1992. Behavior Performance of Diuraphis noxia (Homoptera: Aphididae) on Fungal Endophyte-Infected and Uninfected Perennial Ryegrass. J. Econ. Entomol. 85(2): 583-588 (1992)
KeywordsInsecta, Russian wheat aphid, fungal endophyte, plant resistance
- Resistance of Endophyte-Infected Plants of Tall Fescue and Perennial Ryegrass to the Russian Wheat Aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae)
- Survey and Detection of Endophytic Fungi in Lolium Germ Plasm by Direct Staining and Aphid Assays
- Candidate gene association mapping for winter survival and spring regrowth in perennial ryegrass
XML: View XML