Skip to Main Content
Towards a plot size for Canada's national forest inventoryAuthor(s): Steen Magnussen; P. Boudewyn; M. Gillis
Source: In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 116-128.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (674.6 KB)
DescriptionA proposed national forest inventory for Canada is to report on the state and trends of resource attributes gathered mainly from aerial photos of sample plots located on a national grid. A pilot project in New Brunswick indicates it takes about 2,800 square 400-ha plots (10 percent inventoried) to achieve a relative standard error of 10 percent or less on 14 out of 17 estimates of forest strata (cover type) proportions; it takes about 3,300 plots of similar size to achieve the same precision target on 68 of 85 strata type x age proportions. Minimum cost solutions for fixed targets of relative precision and power include plot sizes from 71 to 192 ha and sampling intensities from 0.2 to 3.5 percent. Multivariate solutions exploiting the covariance in the data called for less sampling than univariate solution.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMagnussen, Steen; Boudewyn, P.; Gillis, M. 2000. Towards a plot size for Canada''s national forest inventory. In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 116-128.
- A comparison of stratification effectiveness between the National Land Cover Data set and photointerpretation in western Oregon
- Evaluating Classified MODIS Satellite Imagery as a Stratification Tool
- Post-stratified estimation: with-in strata and total sample size recommendations
XML: View XML