Skip to Main Content
Sources of uncertainty in annual forest inventory estimatesAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 207-213.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (369.67 KB)
DescriptionAlthough design and estimation aspects of annual forest inventories have begun to receive considerable attention within the forestry and natural resources communities, little attention has been devoted to identifying the sources of uncertainty inherent in these systems or to assessing the impact of those uncertainties on the total uncertainties of inventory estimates. A brief overview of the annual forest inventory system under development for the North Central region is provided, sources of uncertainty within the required components are identified, and their magnitudes and impacts on Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) estimates are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E. 2000. Sources of uncertainty in annual forest inventory estimates. In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 207-213.
- Estimating Uncertainty in Annual Forest Inventory Estimates
- Comparing the STEMS and AFIS growth models with respect to the uncertainty of predictions
- Analyzing The Uncertainty Of Diameter Growth Model Predictions
XML: View XML