Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Somatic Incompatibility in Diakaryotic-monokaryotic and Dikaryotic Pairings of Echinodontium tinctoriumAuthor(s): A. Dan Wilson
Source: Can. J. Bot. <b>69:</b> 2716-2723
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.5 MB)
DescriptionSomatic incompatibility in dikaryotic-monokaryotic (di-mon) and dikaryotic pairings of Echinodontium tinctorium was investigated in vitro on 4.5% malt agar. Antagonistic reactions of varying intensity occurred in all pairings between 12 allopatric dikaryons from Idaho and Arizona, between 14 sib-composed dikaryons from two Idaho sites, and in over 95% of pairings between sympatric dikaryons from separate trees at each location. Antagonistic reactions in dikaryotic pairings macroscopically appeared as dark reaction lines in the agar and aversion zones (barrage reactions) with hyphal massing on each side of the aversion zones. Self-crosses of dikaryons were somatically compatible, and hyphal anastomoses were common. Hyphal anastomoses were rare in the aversion zones between somatically incompatible dikaryons. Somatic incompatibility occurred in 51% of 89 di-mon pairings between 29 monokaryotic isolates and 7 sib-composed dikaryons from the same parent. Somatically incompatible di-mon pairings were characterized by hyphal massing in the contact zone and reaction lines on the reverse, but they lacked barrage reactions. Clamp connections formed in 54% of all di-mon crosses and at similar frequencies when no antagonistic reactions were present (55%) or when only hyphal massing occurred (53%), but they formed less frequently (33%) when dark reaction lines were present. The potential applications of these findings to epidemiological studies are discussed.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilson, A. Dan. 1991. Somatic Incompatibility in Diakaryotic-monokaryotic and Dikaryotic Pairings of Echinodontium tinctorium. Can. J. Bot. 69: 2716-2723
KeywordsEchinodontium, somatic incompatibility, epidemiology, Buller phenomenon, dikaryotic-monokaryotic, wood decay
- Cytology and Genetics of Sexual Incompatibility in Didymella rabiei
- In vitro colony interactions among species of Trichoderma with inference toward biological control.
- The Genetics of Sexual Incompatibility in the Indian Paint Fungus, Echinodontium Tinctorium
XML: View XML