Skip to Main Content
The forest as a warehouseAuthor(s): C. J. Goulding
Source: In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 276-282.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (604.37 KB)
DescriptionNew Zealand's timber harvest is rapidly increasing and will continue to do so over the next 20 years. This increase provides opportunities for adding value and increasing profitability, but to achieve the full potential of the harvest, the best management decisions at strategic, tactical, and operational levels are required. The key to market-driven harvest planning in New Zealand is a greatly improved knowledge of the quantity, quality, and condition of the standing trees. Industry is demanding that pre-harvest inventory be intensified with more detail about the quality of the stems, more geographical precision as to the location of the potential log products, and more flexibility in the analysis of the data. Improvements in instruments for use in the forest, in remote sensing techniques, and in operations research and geostatistical algorithms should lead to better computer-based decision support systems.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGoulding, C. J. 2000. The forest as a warehouse. In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 276-282.
- Water quality in New Zealand's planted forests: A review
- Improved harvesting systems for wet sites
- Can Professional Aesthetic Landscape Assessments Become More Truly Robust? Challenges, Opportunities, and a Model of Landscape Appraisal
XML: View XML