Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Sap sugar parameters of silver maple provenances and clones grown on upland and bottomland sitesAuthor(s): J. J. Zaczek; A. D. Carver; K. W. J. Williard; J. K. Buchheit; J. E. Preece; J. C. Mangun
Source: In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 496-501
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (49.34 KB)
DescriptionSap sugar concentration (SSC), sap volume, and stem diameter were measured for 49 different silver maple clones representing a range-wide collection of 13 provenances within replicated upland and bottomland plantations in southern Illinois during the winter of 2001. For comparison, 42 sugar maple trees were sampled in a local sugarbush. Silver maple SSC averaged 1.51 percent and did not differ among sites. Differences existed among silver maple provenances and clones in SSC and sap volume but performance was site dependent. Selected silver maple clones compared favorably with local sugar maple trees which averaged 1.87 percent SSC.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZaczek, J. J.; Carver, A. D.; Williard, K. W. J.; Buchheit, J. K.; Preece, J. E.; Mangun, J. C. 2003. Sap sugar parameters of silver maple provenances and clones grown on upland and bottomland sites. In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 496-501
- Time domain-nuclear magnetic resonance study of chars from southern hardwoods
- Proceedings of the Eighth Lake States Forest Tree Improvement conference, Sept. 12-13, 1967.
- An assessment of management history of damaged and undamaged trees 8 years after the ice storm in Rochester, New York, U.S.
XML: View XML